Ages and authorized drivers for your rental car

HomeInfo and supportCar rentalsAuthorized drivers

Canadian driver’s licence: some countries accept Canadian driver’s licences. However, most countries require an international driving permit (IDP), which serves as legal ID and which hold relative information pertaining to your Canadian licence translated into 11 foreign languages. The IDP acts a compliment to the Canadian licence. You can obtain prior to your departure in your local CAA agency.

The contract signee, the main driver, must be at least 21 years old in the majority of countries and some as France accepts drivers aged 18 years. Drivers must hold a valid driver's license for at least 1 year. 

For drivers between 18 and 25 years of age, depending on the chosen car category, additional insurance is required and must be paid for on site when the vehicle is picked up.

You will need to pay additional insurance for each additional driver on the contract. The rate depends on the driver's age, contract duration, the chosen car category and the rental location. 

Important: in some countries, there is an age limit for the elderly as well.

Coming from, you are now on Europ Auto, your site for car rental and buy-back. There is a perfect car for your trip... you will find the right one in a few clicks!