Serving you for more than 45 years!

Car rental in Europe - Driver's license

In order to rent a car during your holiday in Europe, you must have a valid driver's license. While some countries accept the Canadian driver's license, most of them will require an international driver's license (IDL).

The IDL is used as a legal identification document and contains information related to the Canadian driver's license translated into 11 foreign languages. The IDL is used as a supplement to the Canadian driver's license and you can obtain it before your departure in any CAA-Quebec Travel Centre or CAA-Quebec vehicle registration centre.

More information about the IDL

You must be at least 18 years old to get the IDL, which is delivered immediately when you go to the CAA centre in person. You must present your valid Canadian driver's license and 2 passport photographs (photo service available at the CAA-Quebec centre). It will cost $25 on site or $27 by mail (you'll have to complete an application form and allow a 2 to 3 weeks delay).

Note that the PCI is only valid for one year from the date of issue. It is therefore recommended that you obtain it a maximum of one week before the planned departure date in order to fully enjoy it.

Autorised drivers

No additional fee is applied for any other driver of the rental car. The persons who may drive the Peugeot buy back vehicle are:

  • The contract holder,
  • His/her spouse, his/her direct ascendants and descendants, provided that they meet the same contract conditions as those for the holder (for example: tourists),
  • Any occasional driver is authorized to drive in the presence of the contract holder inside the vehicle;
  • Any occasional driver who is at least 18 years old and holds a valid driver's license.

To find out more, refer to the Practical Guide Book Peugeot Open Europe. For further information, contact us.

Newsletter subscriptionClose